Hotstar has released India Watch Report 2019 – a complete study of online video consumption behaviour and trends of Indian users. The report shows insights on the content preferences, progressive gender shifts, and increasing accessibility continue to shape the modern Indian digital consumer.
Here are the key Highlights:
- Hotstar crosses 400 million downloads in 2019, becoming one of the most downloaded app in India
- 300 Mn+ platform reach during the VIVO IPL 2019
- 100 Mn reach crossed in a single day; Multiple times throughout ICC CWC 2019
- 63% of the total online entertainment consumption came from non-metros. Lucknow, Pune and Patna surpassed Hyderabad, Bengaluru and Kolkata in video consumption
- More than 40% video consumption came from regional content.
- During VIVO IPL 2019, 64 Mn viewers participated in Hotstar’s interactive game Watch ‘N Play, double than last year
#1 Regional Content is thriving
As stated in key highlights above 40% video consumption came from regional content. Which goes to prove local is the new global. Diving deep into this Hotsar says “Tamil, Telugu and Bengali topping the regional language charts. Bigg Boss Tamil is the highest watched entertainment show and was consumed 1.5 times more than Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai which is a top Hindi show.”
#2 We love Cricket
India is a cricket crazy country. Hotstar Reports states “that the platform’s reach during VIVO IPL 2019 was comparable to the entire population of the United States. This year Hotstar took the VIVO IPL 2019 to 20% more cities and towns. Of the total consumption, 65 per cent came from non-metros.”
#3 Busting Myths
Non metro cities consume 63% cities like Lucknow, Pune and Patna surpassed Hyderabad, Bengaluru and Kolkata in video consumption. Of the total entertainment consumption, 45 per cent came from women which are 3.2 times growth compared to last year.