Search Engine Optimization is important, irrespective of the type of organization or business. The practice of Search Engine Optimization i.e. SEO allows Websites to rank higher in search engine results.
Several SEO techniques assist businesses to get a higher rank in search engine results. Different regions believe in a slightly different SEO approach. For instance, organizations offering SEO services in India will be a little different from what Australian SEO services have to offer.
All SEO practices are categorized into two distinct categories, on-page SEO and off-page SEO. SEO is an important practice to increase the conversion rate of visitors into patrons.
Local search engine optimization is a new form of SEO focused on optimizing an organization’s online presence in local search results. Many SEO service providers have adopted the latest approach. Ranging from setting meta keywords to title tags, there are several things that need to set in track, in the right way, for doing the right search engine optimization for your Website.
Following list enumerates the various SEO points and associated practices that you should adopt to make your SEO better:
#1 Title Tags
The title tag is an important on-page SEO factor that assists search engines to know what the page is all about. Whether you are an SEO company or a person running his own Website and maintaining all the SEO work on your own, you need to be careful with the Title tags.
Title tags are closely related to keyword or keyword phrase that you’ve set for the page to which the title tag belongs. As much as possible, title tags must be unique.
- Do not use identical title tags for multiple pages. Try to make them as unique as possible
- Follow the format, Primary Keyword – Secondary Keyword | Brand Name, i.e. separate keyword phrases with a hyphen and add a brand name at the end of the title tag followed after a pipe
- Keep the title tag at less than 55 characters (including spaces).
#2 Meta Descriptions
Every search result you see in a search result page contains each of title tag, Webpage link, and short description at the bottom. The latter is known as Meta description. Even though Meta descriptions are not that important from search engine rankings P.O.V., they are quite essential for attracting eyeballs.
- Avoid using quotes or non-alphanumeric characters
- Don’t use duplicate meta descriptions
- It must be kept below 160 characters
- Write compelling meta description text
The base of any Website is its content. Your website content needs to be not only striking and meaningful, but relevant and unique too. This is necessary because Google penalizes the same content found across various pages or websites by means of lower search rankings.
- Build your content around the focused keyword or keyword phrase
- Don’t abuse the focus keyword or keyword phrase i.e. use it only where it really needs to be
- Use inter-linking i.e. add links of the page to other already published pages on your Website
- Write unique content by defining different formats for distinct article formats.
#4 Header Tags
H1 tag, alias header tag, is the most important tag after the title tag, in terms of search engine optimization. Hence, every SEO company must pay attention while working around it.
You can also use further header tags like H2 and H3, albeit you should restrict their use to only those articles or pages that have multiple sections. Not every page should include H1 tag but those, which you target to host unique visitors.
- Make use of your focused keyword or keyword phrase only once in the H1 tag
- Limit the use of H1 tags to only those pages that are SEO pages i.e. you need the unique traffic to come to
- Use H2, H3, H4, et cetera tags if there are multiple sections.
#5 Image ALT Tags
Google identifies every image that you put up on your page with its image search functionality. Every image has an ALT tag property. This is somewhat the name assigned to an image. In addition to being an important asset to climb search engine results rankings, ALT tags facilitate accessibility. ALT tags allow someone using a screen reader to hear the ALT tag.
- ALT tags should be able to clearly define what the image is about
- Image filenames should be SEO friendly
- While entering data in the ALT text field, use dashes to separate words rather than using underscores
- Avoid using a non-alphanumeric character in an ALT tag
SEO plays an important role in granting your Website a higher rank on the search engine results page (SERP). Hence, pay heed while doing SEO of your Website and use apt practices to make the most out of Search Engine Optimization.